Friday, April 23, 2010

8, 9 Miles & Gadgets-Oh My!

April 12, 2010 - 8 miles


I have to backtrack a little here since it has been so long since I posted anything of note. In April I decided that I would splurge and purchase a Garmin GPS watch. From the beginning I have had a strong desire to run in the woods, off-road, or anywhere besides the boring route on the road which I had mapped out using my car. I was going to wait until I had been training for a few months but I honestly felt that I was completely dedicated to my goal in addition to running for life (or as long as my legs hold up). Plus, Amazon had some really fabulous sales on older Garmin models! I was so excited when the package finally came!
What is in the box?

YAY! A Garmin!!


It is huge and the graphics remind me of technology from the 80's, but I LOVE it!
Although I was thrilled about hittin' the trails with my Garmin, I still had hydration concerns. I mean, I'm running 15 minute miles here so 8 miles will take me about 2 hours. There is no way I was going out in the woods without my own water supply. I come from a family of "outdoorsy" people and you never venture out on a hike or whatever without enough water in case you become lost or injured. It just so happened that I was running some errands which took me past REI. I went in for a look around and I found an entire wall of hydration backpacks. Exactly what I wanted! I tried on a few styles and settled on one that holds 2 liters and is equipped with 2 zippered pockets and another thing to hold a jacket or something. Now, I was all set for a run!
I was slightly concerned that I had 2 new gadgets and I was attempting to run in the woods for the first time in a long time. My pack felt great! I was ecstatic to not be holding a bottle or wearing something around my waist. It was a beautiful day and I was happy to be outside. I don't have too much else to write about. I LOVE my pack and Garmin. This was by far the BEST run that I have had since I started. Oddly enough, I didn't really think at all. Normally, I have a running dialogue in my mind which is why I always have fun stories after my long runs. I'm not sure what I will write about now!
My watch is ginormous!



Hydration Pack
April 17- 9 miles
I had a long week but I went to my first Yankee's game on Friday night! I had a great time even though it was rain delayed half way through and finally called off. It was a win for the Yankee's! Needless to say I didn't get very much sleep and decided to run on Sunday. I had a long day Saturday and I awoke pretty tired Sunday. I mustered all of my energy and went anyway. I felt like I was dragging through the whole run but the weather was pleasant and the scenery was great. Once again I was thankfully for the freedom that my hydration pack and Garmin allowed me!

1 comment:

  1. Geeze...do you get tetris on that thing? can it make coffee? :)

    ReplyDelete